Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Round Up

Well, it has been a month and I am back from my trip. Quite a few events took place during my absence....of them, I would like to mention the death of Yves Saint Laurent who exploded onto the fashion scene as Christian Dior's successor in 1958 and retired in 2002. During his career, he was recognized as changing the way modern women dress. His first collection was know as the Trapeze collection and is appropriately influential to women today.



Also, the annual Council of Fashion Designers America Awards was held at the New York Public Library. Fran Lebowitz (left) was the emcee and Diane Van Furstenberg (right) as the CFTDA president, opened the ceremony with a tribute to YSL.



Worth mentioning are the award winners: Francisco Costa (women's design), Tom Ford (men's design), and Tory Burch (accessories).
Swarovski also presented awards to younger designers: Rodarte label designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy for womenswear, Scott Sternberg of Band of Outsiders for menswear and Phillip Crangi for accessories.
Of all the soundbites from the evening, my favorite has to be the following quote from Fran Lebowitz, "Despite whatever reputation I have, wholly undeserved to the contrary, I would never insult someone right to their face," she said. "I believe in talking behind peoples' backs. That way, they hear it more than once."

No comments: